Yes, hospitals were losing money, but lives were on the line. As budgetary issues loomed, many chose to furlough or cut the pay of doctors. Smart move? Probably not. Here is an example shared with us:
Read your blog on hospitals cutting salaries and laying off hospital staff. Spoke with my anesthesiologist friend yesterday. He was informed his pay will be cut 70 percent. He is still showing up to work, still on call, still at risk.
Here are some more references showing how physicians were furloughed during the CV19 crisis:
- 1 in 5 doctors has been furloughed or taken a pay cut as the coronavirus pandemic hits hospitals. Some say they’re considering new jobs.
- Pay cuts, furloughs, and layoffs for doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers are mounting as the coronavirus pandemic hits hospitals
- Some ER doctors are losing pay and hours even as coronavirus rages
- Fairview doctors face furloughs as deaths, hospital expenses rise
- Doctors and nurses are getting hit with pay cuts, layoffs, and furloughs even as they fight the coronavirus pandemic
- COVID-19 Hits Some Health Care Workers With Pay Cuts And Layoffs
- UTAH’S LARGEST MEDICAL PROVIDER ANNOUNCES PAY CUTS FOR DOCTORS AND NURSES AMID CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
- Denver Health Executives Get Bonuses 1 Week After Workers Asked To Take Cuts
Doctors have relayed to us how they will never forget how they were furloughed or lost income, and yet administrators did not.
This needs to be remedied.